[Amps] 50V SMPSU for SSPA (was: Re: Peter Dahl transformers)

To: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Amps] 50V SMPSU for SSPA (was: Re: Peter Dahl transformers)
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 08:34:00 +0000
On 22/02/2013 19:14, Bill Turner wrote:
> [...]

I haven't tested one myself yet but have a friend in the HP server
repair trade that has just acquired three for me... there's a thread
over here:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32829

pin out here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1625284

that discusses getting them to power up and how they work.

Several amateurs using them, for example Hans PE1CKK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io3KeGlJmCs&playnext=1&list=PL92FB9A255B30B6B1&feature=results_video

To date, I have used the Meanwell/Sunpower RSP-1500-48 and the
RSP-3000-4 supplies. At one point Future Electronics (USA) were selling
the RSP-3000 for less than the RSP-1500 - this may have been a mistake
but I bought one all the same and including shipping and taxes it cost
me €341 (£271) which was a good price, but this was before I even knew
of the HP units...

There are some other routes to QRO 50V - the telecomms industry uses a
lot of 48V supplies, often battery banks charged by 'rectifiers'. Modern
rectifiers are effectively switched-mode power supplies. You will find a
range of supplies in the 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000W ranges made by Eaton,
Valerie and Eltek if you search Ebay - many of these make good PSUs for
SSPA projects.