Re: [Amps] Pre-Distortion Linearizer / industry status quo

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pre-Distortion Linearizer / industry status quo
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 21:43:07 +0930
Ian, I'm sure you or I and a few others would willing criticise the sad
state of poor to middling IMD performance in ham-radio Tx equipment in
meaningful clinically objective technical reviews, but none of the
mainstream monthly ham rags who rely on advertising revenue for their
existence would dare publish our critique!

Breaking the incestuous financial nexus is problematic...a truly independent
ham radio journal is unfortunately an ironic contradiction in terms.

It would only take a few flame roastings by respected reviewers for the
equipment manufacturers to clean up their act.  The downward creep in Tx IMD
specs you mention is a sad indictment; there are no easy solutions :-(

Some recent release high-end HF transceivers do have good Tx IMD specs, but
they are expensive acquisitions for the average ham hobbyist.  The
widespread collapse of global economies is also not conducive for equipment
manufacturers to improve their products with the burden of additional
technical finesse and complexity required and associated hit to their
shrinking margins; it's a vexing catch-22.

73

Leigh
VK5KLT