Re: [Amps] Pre-Distortion Linearizer

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>, amps fourm <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pre-Distortion Linearizer
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX" <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 13:33:00 -0400
IIRC, back in the old days of SSB, it was recommended to run one's exciter at maximum output and swamp the excess drive with a resistive pad. The reason was that the exciters obtained their maximum carrier and sideband suppression and minimum spurious products at their maximum output. I don't think that condition has changed, but I doubt that many of us are using such a swamping pad these days for amps that require less than 100W drive. How much would be gained toward the goal of reducing IMD and splatter if such a practice were adopted today?

73, Joe
K2XX