Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem
From: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 08:09:36 -0700
How about "broken shield problem"?

At least that relates to the essence of the problem, which is that the shield isn't continuous, not a pin number, which is arbitrary.

On 6/6/2013 11:51 PM, Ian White wrote:
K9YC wrote:

When you invent, create, or discover something, you get to name it.
Would that would be "Brown's Law"?  I'm sorry, Jim, but it just ain't
so.

We all understand your personal respect for Neil Muncie, but there are
other overriding priorities such as respect for truth and accuracy.

It is only justifiable to call this "the Pin 1 problem" where that name
accurately applies: specifically to Pin 1 of an XLR connector in the pro
audio industry. But this problem extends far beyond the area where it
was originally identified by Neil Muncie. It is no disrespect to insist
that the more generic problem needs a better name.

Calling it the "Pin 1" problem in situations where it simply isn't pin
1, and even where there isn't a connector at all, is a deliberate
falsehood which misdirects and confuses people. It can only be
understood by someone who is already initiated into the secret. At so
many different levels, that is simply A Wrong Thing To Do.

We badly need a short GENERIC name that accurately indicates the nature
of the problem. That won't be easy to find, but it is something we can
work on. Calling it the "Pin 1 problem" simply isn't good enough.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/