Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:12:20 -0400

The problem is that it is not a "Ground loop" - there is no issue
with multiple grounding if the inputs to the device are designed
properly.  It occurs only when the signal return is not correctly
connected to the shielded enclosure or bypassed - that also impacts
things like VHF/UHF stability, etc.

If you continue to call it a "ground loop" it is obvious that you
do not understand the nature of the problem.  "Pin 1" problem is
as good a term as any since the mechanism for this issue in audio
was first identified in professional equipment using XLR connectors
and the understanding extended to audio equipment with other
connectors (including consumer/prosumer equipment with RCA I/O).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV