Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] The Pin One Problem
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 22:45:12 -0700
On 6/8/2013 10:03 PM, Larry Benko wrote:
Pin 1 problems can cause RFI but I don't think they are a major cause compared to common mode cable currents and large differential cable currents which get partially converted to common mode currents via imbalance. I don't believe that FCC Part 15 specifically tests susceptability but many other standards do.

Although this is a topic for a different email reflector, I strongly suspect that Pin One Problems are a major cause of egress, including, for example, CATV cables. We know that all passive networks work in both directions, although their transfer ratios may be different, depending on both internal and external impedances. Any Pin One Problem that lets RF into the box is likely to let RF out of the box if there is a source inside.

And you're correct, there is, as far as I know, no FCC requirement for testing with cables attached, nor for much below 30 MHz. I hear from my AES Standards colleagues in the UK that their EMC regulations ARE slated to begin requiring compliance of complete systems (that is, with interconnections). That would be a VERY good thing.

73, Jim K9YC