Re: [Amps] OTA TV

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] OTA TV
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 22:01:06 -0700
On 8/3/2013 10:13 AM, donroden@hiwaay.net wrote:
The FCC sold the public a bill of goods when they were promoting digital TV.
They told TV stations that their coverage area would double in area.
Over the air real world results were just the opposite... We lost all of our fringe viewers and half of our grade B viewers. People who were watching our analog signal with indoor rabbit ears lost coverage when we turned the analog transmitters off.

Yes, that's definitely true.But isn't that, at least in part, a matter of licensed ERP? When I poked around the FCC database around the time of the cutover, the DTV licenses were typically 10 dB or more below the ATV licenses, taking antenna height and location into account, which seems really poor engineering in light of the real world experience you're citing.

I've also seen some REALLY dumb frequency and channel allocations. Here in the Santa Cruz mountains, my CBS affiliate is first adjacent to a Spanish language station, the transmitter sites are pretty close to each other, so the same azimuth for everyone, but the CBS affiliate has a license that gives them10 dB less signal. As a result, I get lots of fades on them. Two of our locals are high-band Vs, on 8 and 13, roughly 45 miles, and I do OK on them with a 4x2 UHF bow-tie and a preamp.

Elderly fixed income viewers couldn't afford the expense of getting an outside antenna or the monthly costs of cable or sat.

Unless you're a ham, or know someone who is. :)

Other than a few digital geeks , no one wanted HDTV.

I will STRONGLY disagree with you on that one, Don. I'm a genuine old fart, and I LOVE DTV, especially HD.

It cost millions for TV stations to convert , and we lost half the audience. Some Deal !!!

There are other reasons that the audience for OTA broadcasting has been dwindling for years. With both TV and radio, the the programming has gotten progressively lousier, and then the audiences got cannibalized by the cable networks, now streaming and DVDs.The ONLY reason we own broadcast receivers is for the music and news on public radio, occasional good stuff on PBS, and occasional major sports things. I find sports a LOT more riveting with an HD signal.

73, Jim K9YC