Re: [Amps] Shortwave Returns? [Was: testing the biggest one]

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shortwave Returns? [Was: testing the biggest one]
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 22:46:50 -0700
On 8/3/2013 9:37 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:
Dunno what happened to all the old analog TV  vhf + uhf freqs.
They all appear to be dead air around here..at least  ch 2-13.

In the US, broadcasters have largely left low-band VHF (2-6) because of problems with impulse noise on those higher frequencies, but there are quite a few on high band (7-13). This link allows very flexible searches, and yields considerable technical detail of TX locations, antenna patterns, coverages, heights, ERP, and so on. The ABC station in SF is on 7, both 8 and 13 are about 100 miles SE of there (in the mountains around Monterey), and I think there's at least one high band V around Sacramento.

Around the time of the transition to DTV, there was a separate section of the FCC website that showed detailed info about the existing analog and new DTV allocations for every local market. I don't know if that link is still good, and it's on a different computer (out in the shack). :)

73, Jim K9YC