Re: [Amps] Workshop Danger

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Workshop Danger
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:37:41 +0000
Like many homebrewers, I cut my panel holes with a jigsaw, and finish them with files. The advantage: Essentially any shape and size is possible. Disadvantage: It takes a bit of practice to get nice, clean, good-looking results.

It's a good idea to use panels of a reasonable thickness. There is just no point in making them as thick as an armor plate! For small boxes I use 1mm aluminium sheet, for bigger ones slightly thicker sheet, and only for the biggest boxes holding the heaviest sort of components I use 3mm thick aluminium.

On the other hand, I have used the jigsaw+file method even in 8mm thick steel, when building machinery! That takes some patience, though, and might wear out one jigsaw blade per hole. But that's still cheaper than having the work done by others.

Shop safety is not to be taken lightly. It pays to think in advance what can go wrong, and prepare for it. For example, a jigsaw blade can shatter and fly away, and small metal chips will certainly fly around. So, eye protection is a good idea. I also use ear defenders, as I like listening to music and don't want to go deaf. And un-deburred metal edges can cut fingers... but that's pretty obvious! Come on, we are no kindergarten anymore! ;-)

Manfred