Re: [Amps] Workshop Danger

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Workshop Danger
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 19:52:38 +0200
Exactly, Manfred.

73

Peter G3RZP

 Message Received: Sep 13 2013, 06:38 PM
 From: "Manfred Mornhinweg" <manfred@ludens.cl>
 To: amps@contesting.com

 Like many homebrewers, I cut my panel holes with a jigsaw, and finish
 them with files. The advantage: Essentially any shape and size is
 possible. Disadvantage: It takes a bit of practice to get nice, clean,
 good-looking results.

 It's a good idea to use panels of a reasonable thickness. There is just
 no point in making them as thick as an armor plate! For small boxes I
 use 1mm aluminium sheet, for bigger ones slightly thicker sheet, and
 only for the biggest boxes holding the heaviest sort of components I use
 3mm thick aluminium.

 On the other hand, I have used the jigsaw+file method even in 8mm thick
 steel, when building machinery! That takes some patience, though, and
 might wear out one jigsaw blade per hole. But that's still cheaper than
 having the work done by others.

 Shop safety is not to be taken lightly. It pays to think in advance what
 can go wrong, and prepare for it. For example, a jigsaw blade can
 shatter and fly away, and small metal chips will certainly fly around.
 So, eye protection is a good idea. I also use ear defenders, as I like
 listening to music and don't want to go deaf. And un-deburred metal
 edges can cut fingers... but that's pretty obvious! Come on, we are no
 kindergarten anymore! ;-)

 Manfred