Re: [Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, s

To: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, supply
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:42:04 +0200
Bill,

The supply is a neutral (which is theoretically at ground potential and
actually may be so, or very close to it) and a single phase 240volt line - in
my case 234, as it happens. The neutral is the centre point of the star
connected (wye connected) sub-station transformer secondary, is grounded at the
transformer and various places along its run. That run maybe in older
installations a lead sheathed or steel wire armoured cable, with red yellow and
blue phases on it, and in newer installations can be aluminium sheathed. The
sheath or the armouring can be the neutral or there may be a neutral wire as
well. Each house gets a tap of neutral and one phase, so house 1 gets red
phase, house 2 gets yellow phase, house 3 gets blue phase and they all get the
neutral. By using the aluminium sheath as neutral, "advantage may be taken of
higher technology cable" i.e. cheaper!

73

Peter G3RZP

 Message Received: Sep 20 2013, 05:25 AM