Re: [Amps] Best source for Gigavac GH-1 ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Best source for Gigavac GH-1 ?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 07:36:10 -0500
As a competitive contester, it's not the cost of the relay or even the time to replace it, but simply that I don't want to have to lose 90-120 minutes of contest operating time while I do it. Being analytical about it, the relays I've replaced have mostly been those that came with the three 20-30 year old Titan 425s I bought used, so perhaps it's only my contesting that pushed them over the edge. :)

Using so-called "controlled PTT" on CW may be a reasonable compromise between full QSK and semi-BK-in. I'm not a contester, but I see many ops using either a computer card or other type of computer interface that will automatically control the PTT cycle when using a keyboard - not sure it's possible when using a keyer as it may require a typing ahead. Anyway, a solution does exist that will prevent excessive T/R relay activations while not having to wait from T=>R at the end of a transmission.

Paul, W9AC