Re: [Amps] PARALLEL CAPS IN OUTPUT

To: <g8on@fsmail.net>, "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>, "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] PARALLEL CAPS IN OUTPUT
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 20:10:20 -0500
Looking at it another way Bruene was a respected engineer in the military and non ham commercial world with degree credentials to match. I also had several email exchanges with him during his spat with Walt Maxwell in QEX, who BTW, never got out of the 60's with uncalibrated 50-60's test equipment.

JI....nope.

Carl
KM1H

Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 7:14 PM

This is where life gets interesting.......

About ten or twelve years back, there was a big argument about whether you should have a conjugate match between PA and load. Argument one was that Thevenin demanded a conjugate match for optimum power transfer. Argument two (Warren Bruene, W5OLB) was that the tx should have the lowest possible output impedance for maximum efficiency. Now I incline to Bruene's approach. W8JI was for Thevenin. Experiments showed that linear PAs showed maximum linear output when there was a Thevenin match, but if you did the usual sums on PAs, you saw that that the efficiency was around 50% - which you expect - and thus the Thevenin match gave much the same answer. As soon as you applied it to Class C, you no longer had a linear system and the Thevenin match camp claimed it was no longer valid. This is as maybe, but seems to me to have some definite legitimacy as an argument.

So the impedance looking back into a correctly tuned linear amplifier, whether you believe W5OLB or W8JI, actually ends up about the same - not that far off 50 or whatever ohms.

So the reflection back from the tx to the antenna is pretty small.......

Obviously a bit different with a Class C pa, but not that much......

So I think multiple reflections can be discounted, at least for correctly tuned amplifiers and PAs.

73

Peter G3RZP

Message Received: Dec 04 2013, 11:33 PM