Re: [Amps] PARALLEL CAPS IN OUTPUT

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] PARALLEL CAPS IN OUTPUT
From: "Peter Voelpel" <dj7ww@t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 03:03:44 +0100
It´s quite simple without measurements.

Lets assume the amp is tuned for full legal output into a low SWR on 80m
which needed 1000pf of load capacitance.
Then suddenly the SWR goes sky high because the coax connector went open.

How can the voltage across the load capacitor become 5KV when the reactance
of the load capacitor is just 45 ohms on 3.5MHz?
That would require about 110 Amperes of RF current through that capacitor.
And where is that big current coming from in a 1.5KW amp, not in a 100KW?

73
Peter