Re: [Amps] "N" Connector

To: "'Ian White'" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <jtml@vla.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "N" Connector
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 16:13:06 -0700
I've had bad experience with N connectors on long runs of coax in the
wintertime. My theory, unsupported either by other facts or long
deliberation is that the coax length shrinks slightly at low temperatures
and tends to pull the center pin out of its making connector. The early
symptom is always an intermittent loss of receive sensitivity, but in really
cold  nights I've lost transmit continuity as well. Personally, I don't care
for N connectors (at least at HF frequencies) but in the olden days when I
was using lot of military Transco coax relays and motorized coax switches
there wasn't much of an alternative.
73,
Jim W8ZR