Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 08:44:54 +0100
Although a good sized shear is nice, you do need to watch the Chinese ones.

Mine came with no guard so you could slide the metal sheet in and then your
fingers. Having stood on the treadle with one foot, not only could you lose
fingers but the treadle came so far down you would then break your foot.........

It also doesn't have a clamp that clamps the sheet to the bed as the blade
comes down so you have carefully hold the sheet metal. I must see about fixing
that - however, I did immediately fit a length of angle iron as a guard so
fingers can't be chopped off and a 4 by 2 to stop the foot getting crushed.

Indeed, all the Chinese machinery I've seen has some corners cut, but that is
why it becomes affordable, and often those corners affect convenience rather
than operation. Such as calibrating metric lead screws with  markings
suggesting 0.05mm is .002 inch.....

Peter G3RZP