Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:56:12 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

n 1/18/2014 11:05 AM, Peter Voelpel wrote:
Don´t you think it depends on anode voltage and output impedance of the
Tube(s)used?

REPLY:

Yes, I do. Can you tell me the anode voltage under severe SWR mismatch conditions such as a broken antenna wire? Not the DC supply, the peak RF. It is the peak voltage that lets the smoke out.

The value of the DC supply is only the beginning of design considerations. Nobody knows how high the peak might go. In a runaway "tesla coil" condition if could be many tens of thousands of volts. A runaway condition is not likely in an amp because there is always at least some load on the tank circuit, even under severe SWR conditions, but it can still go very high.

That's why I design conservatively.

73, Bill W6WRT