Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@wildblue.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:08:47 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

n 1/18/2014 9:52 AM, Jim Garland wrote:
There is another problem, which can come from stray capacitance. At 28MHz,
stray capacitance of only 1-2pF can turn the shorted coil into a parallel
resonant LC circuit, and that can lead to further arcing problems. Thus,
shorting together the unused ends of the coil may be better than leaving
them completely floating, it's not a cure-all for bandswitch arcing.

REPLY:

I had this same problem with my homebrew 8877. The 160 meter coil accidentally was self-resonant on 15 meters. It produced such high voltage that the fluorescent lamp hanging from the ceiling actually started flashing. I added a small coil of a microhenry or so in series to shift the resonant freq and that cured it.

Incidentally, despite the extraordinarily high "tesla-effect" voltage, my model 88 band switch did not arc.

73, Bill W6WRT