Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101

To: "Jerry Muller" <k0tv@k0tv.com>, "Jerry" <jsternmd@att.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Building an Amp 101
From: "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 18:53:07 -0700
Jerry, et al,
I echo the email below. A GOOD drill press is a requirement. I have a Dewalt that was a hand me down from my father, built like tank in Pittsburgh, circa 1955 and it is great! (After a thorough rebuild) But the thing that has made it absolutely a great machine was the addition of an X-Y table I bought from Enco for a sale price of about $100. It is not a milling machine by any stretch but drilling tubing to make antennas is a piece of cake. It will do small milling jobs (slotting tubing) but the quill is too small to attempt anything bigger than using a 1/4 inch mill. Ok, enough sermon. Spend 400 to 700 bucks. Look for older machines that have a substantial amout of metal in them. If it can be rebuilt, go for it. I guarantee the payback will justify the expense. But then again, who knows what might be under the Xmas tree next year?
73 Hardy N7RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Muller" <k0tv@k0tv.com>