Re: [Amps] QRO operation into a 80 meter vertical

To: "Brian Carling" <bcarling@cfl.rr.com>, <donroden@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO operation into a 80 meter vertical
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 20:54:55 -0500
It still needs radials

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Carling" <bcarling@cfl.rr.com>
To: <donroden@hiwaay.net>
Cc: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:31 PM

Don may I recommend shunt feeding your tower?

Best regards - Bry Carling

On Feb 20, 2014, at 6:43 PM, donroden@hiwaay.net wrote:

Slightly OFF TOPIC , so respond direct please.

I have a 145 foot Rohn 45G with insulated guys, but grounded base in concrete.

no room for radials ... 33 feet at most over 60 degrees.

Tower is between hamshack ( house ) and garage
and concrete drive ( 300 degrees = no radials )

I would like to experiment with a ground independent (or less ground dependent) 1/2 wave vertical radiator ..... a vertical dipole hung from 145 feet, maybe six feet from the tower face or leg. Fed in the center or at the bottom.

Similar to a sloper, but closer to the tower. Maybe connect the dipole to the top of the tower and feed it like a folded unipole ?? Open to all suggestions.

I'd love to hear how you constructed your high impedance tuners too.

Don W4DNR