Re: [Amps] QRO operation into a 80 meter vertical

To: <g8on@fsmail.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO operation into a 80 meter vertical
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:05:34 -0500
Most hams dont have that benefit Peter but I'll bet that a screen at the base will still improve the efficiency. Something like a 2x4" grid "rabbit fencing" with all connections welded, then hot dip galvanized, and then dipped in plastic.

With 60+ 60-150' radials for a 100' shunt fed tower for 160 with a 4el Christmas Tree top load, which resonated around 1520 KHz, I was many layers down in working any DX with 1200W. Adding 4 spokes of 4' x 50' mesh and interconnecting everything I was cracking pileups on one call many times and blew thru DXCC in one season. The ground was glacial sand with a fresh water table about 4' down....totally useless.

When I moved here on top of the hill at about 550' higher, I didnt even waste time trying radials on the ground since solid granite was only about 1-2' down. Elevated radials were the key. Im up to 98 DXCC with 5W and 18 with 100 milliwatts on Topband and over 300 total.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "peter chadwick" <g8on@fsmail.net>