Re: [Amps] Working on my Darwin award

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Working on my Darwin award
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 19:49:51 +0000
Well, folks,

you all know that to win a Darwin Award you have to kill yourself in a sufficiently stupid way, BEFORE leaving any descendants that perpetuate your faulty genes.

So, you all know what you have to do to avoid that Darwin Award, NOW, before sticking your fingers in the path of HV the next time! ;-)

I got one of my chances at a Darwin Award when working in an amplifier at age 17, very carefully of course, with the interlock defeated, and a test probe slipped, and I tried to catch it before it made contact... It didn't throw me back, instead it pulled me in, with the muscles cramping, and somehow I must have made a very terrible noise, because my little brother came running, then ran back to the home's power panel and cut the power. He says he later regretted that.

I still have the burn scars. The muscle pains in my arms and chest lasted for two weeks only. And the heart didn't miss a beat. So much for fibrillation.

I also have another burn scar, which I earned at only 12 volts! That was when my dad's Chevy Nova one day started smoking from under the dashboard, and I quickly reached in to separate the cables that had chafed through and shorted. That was easy enough, but I forgot to first remove my wristwatch, with its metal band. It made a short from the ampmeter connections (unfused!) to the car's metal dashboard, and after that it was mighty hard to remove the watch from the remains of my skin...

That burn was much worse than that from the amplifier.

Both incidents smelled quite like barbecue.

Manfred the Darwin Award Escapee