Re: [Amps] Working on my Darwin award

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Working on my Darwin award
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 05:11:03 -0500
On 2/25/2014 2:45 AM, peter chadwick wrote:
Rules I heard early on and adopted:

For 26 years I was not permitted to wear rings, metal watch band, or a beard at work.

The ring doesn't even fit anymore.

73

Roger (K8RI)

1. Never wear jewellery - rings, bracelets, neck chains etc when working on
live equipment at any voltage.

2. Never wear rings when soldering - a drop of molten solder under a ring can
damage the finger and the ring!

3. Don't wear watches with metal watch straps. I saw a guy working on a 30kW tx
do that: he had the safety barriers around him and the cover off, but the hand
holding the clip board had the metal watch strap in the same plane as the tank
coil. He got a nasty burn right round his wrist - somewhat mitigated by the
fact that there was handy fire bucket in which to put his hand (and watch!)

4. Never wear a ring, jewellery or metal watch strap when connecting or
disconnecting a storage battery.

5. Plan what you are going to do, list each step in your mind or perhaps on
paper if there's a lot steps (like Heathkit instructions!) before you dive into
some kit that can injure you.

6. Remember that 12 or 24 volts at 50 amps can be just as bad for your health
as 2kV at 1 amp.

When my XYL was working on the bench in the lab, she removed her rings, and
although she doesn't do soldering anymore, the habit of not wearing them has
stuck!

73

Peter G3RZP