Re: [Amps] Triband balun

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Triband balun
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:49:53 -0400
Carl, Bill, Tommy and the others who replied off-list, thanks for the
suggestions. I'm going to try the 10 rolls of coax again, this time
alone.

I'm suspecting the original balun was toasted before I rehabbed the
antenna (cleaned all contacting surfaces and replaced the traps with
new ones). I had the balun in place and also had 10 rolls of coax
just before the balun. However, less than 100 watts with a 1.2 SWR
caused RF to interfere with the relay in the furnace but other
antennas at full legal limit had no effect on the relay.

As I do want to use my amp with this little beam, I appreciate the
helpful suggestions here.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> Rehabbing my father's old TH3-Mk3 tribander from the 80's. The balun
> he had on it was a 1:1 bal/unbal BN-86. As I'll be using an amp with
> it, something more robust is probably a good idea. I was thinking 10
> loops of coax at the antenna would do the job.
>
> Any suggestions for a better alternative that will hold up in a RTTY
> contest?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary
> KA1J