Re: [Amps] Buck-Boost Transformer Selection

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Buck-Boost Transformer Selection
From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 18:20:05 -0700
Does the Quadra have a switching power supply?

73
Jim W7RY

-----Original Message----- From: Joe Subich, W4TV Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:00 PM To: amps@contesting.com Subject: Re: [Amps] Buck-Boost Transformer Selection

The issue is that the Quadra was designed for the Japanese market in
an era where the common input power level was 100/200 V and typical maximum voltages were 220V. As such a 240 V maximum input voltage is
entirely acceptable ... particularly considering that the 240 V spec
even covers 110/220V that was common in North America at the time.

The VP-1000 (Power Supply) manual specifies 14A at 200/220/234V input.
I would be looking for a 250 to 220 V boost/buck transformer rated for
15A to be safe.  Solid state amplifiers of this generation tend to
have somewhat lower efficiencies than modern tube amplifiers - around
40 to 50%.  At 1000W output the amplifier is specified for 48 A at 48V
(2300 W) input - consistent with the rated 14A input.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV