Re: [Amps] tetrode push-pull amp schematics

To: "Charlie" <charlie@drhabekost.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] tetrode push-pull amp schematics
From: "Brad Osburn" <plantrunner5@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 16:20:52 -0600
Charlie,
Under the heading of For What it's Worth

I too am building a push-pull amp (4CX1500B). Basically I'm using Rich's single ended broadband input (4:1 balun xfmr terminated in 200 ohms, 100 either side). Which I have completed and according to my impedance meter, looks good. I don't care about power just want a clean signal, so I'm thinking of running class A. I'm down to the tank circuit and I think I'm going to have a balanced output into my horizontal loop antenna, (600 ohm ladder line input) thru a 4:1 balun. For a screen supply I'm again using Rich's zener string off of the plate supply. Generates a whole bunch of heat thru the dropping resistor, but I think it should prove to be pretty full proof. May incorporate the 4:1 balun in my tank circuit by going to a 200 ohm output, as I said I'm still designing. Found quite a few designs in the 1949 Handbook. I built Rich's balanced tuner and it works well, may incorporate that in my output as well.

This is my first amp I've designed so I'm just trying for 160-80-40. Using a 2400 volt control transformer (5kva) for my supply and I took 5VDC linear supplies and redid the control board to give me the 6V+- out I need for filaments and so I have a regulated filament supply. Limit inrush to less than 2X.

For the record Rich said don't do it (band switching). But I've wanted to do this since HS.

Brad
AB0YD

-----Original Message----- From: Charlie