Re: [Amps] tetrode push-pull amp schematics

To: <ka4inm@gmail.com>, "'amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] tetrode push-pull amp schematics
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 17:13:39 -0500
Push pull and class B operation are two different things.
You can not run a lower idle current just because the tubes are in push
pull. You will get the same distortion products as if they were operated
single ended in an RF amplifier.

A push pull amplifier can be run in any class.
A single ended RF amplifier can be run in any class with equal results to a
push pull amplifier as far as distortion products go.

Transistors and tubes are also different regarding operation modes.

There are a couple of reasons that transistors are usually used in push
pull. Those same reasons do not generally apply to tubes.

Operation of tetrodes in push pull does nothing to reduce distortion
products in an RF amplifier (other than 2nd harmonics).
In an audio amplifier it is a different story as the harmonics are in the
base band that you are interested in. in an Rf amplifier the harmonics are
way out of band.

Driving power does not differ with push pull or single ended circuitry. Gain
is no different between push pull and single ended for the same number of
tubes.

For your efforts you get a more complicated circuit with push pull tetrodes.
That's about it. But like I said before if you want to do it for the sake of
doing it then go for it!

73
Gary  K4FMX