Re: [Amps] Follow-up...re: Time to ask for help.

To: Jim W7RY <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Follow-up...re: Time to ask for help.
From: "sm0aom@telia.com" <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 15:29:54 +0200 (CEST)
The 30S-1 is grounded-grid, not only grounded-screen, and also is
cathode-driven.
It uses RF negative feedback which is a very different animal compared to
neutralization.

The preivously referenced Collins amplifiers were grid-driven and used DC and
RF grounded-screen to exploit the superior input-output
properties attainable with the screen grid directly tied to the shield
partition between grid and plate compartments.
Despite this they were bridge-neutralized to remove the last trace of
regeneration which could wreck havoc with servo-tuning.

Also, the troublesome screen-bypass capacitor was eliminated.
This bypass could cause all forms of trouble in the Telefunken and Philips 30
kW amps that were common in the 60's/70's.
Collins used a better, but more complicated solution, which also required the
driver stages to work "upside down".

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM