Re: [Amps] SB 220 Exploding Resistor

To: <donroden@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB 220 Exploding Resistor
From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 07:56:40 -0800
Yes there is. Move R27 to me in series with the 120 volt bias and the center
tap of the filament transformer. So if a there is a filament to grid short, it
wont short out the 120 volt bias supply.

>From Rich Measures web site...

If one of the tubes happens to develop a filament-to-grid short: Since each
grid is DC-grounded, a shorted tube also short-circuits the +110V power supply.
This power supply is powered by the unfused filament-transformer. Thus, if a
filament-to-grid short occurs, and the amplifier is not switched off promptly,
the filament-transformer will literally melt-down and short-out. The black tar
that comes out of the overheating transformer makes an unpleasant mess inside
the amplifier. This potential source of grief can be eliminated if the relay is
rewired as shown in Diagram 1. The new circuit uses resistor-cutoff bias,
utilizing the existing 100k ohm resistor [R27], which is rewired to relay
terminal #5. The current through this resistor, during receive, is normally
less than 0.25mA [P<0.007W], so the 1/2W rating is more than adequate. (In
other words, it is risky to connect a power supply to the bias contacts of any
grounded-grid amplifier.

73
Jim W7RY