Re: [Amps] Stock up on tubes?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Stock up on tubes?
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 15:43:53 -0600
I've been around long enough (not as long as many others) to see predictions about the downfall and soon-to-be-obsolete status of <lots of things>. As an undergrad forty years ago, I recall hearing computer science students confidently predict that FORTRAN was a dead language and would soon be replaced with ALGOL. Then it was PASCAL. Then it was C, then C++ then... Yet FORTRAN is still alive and well. I've heard the same things about tubes. Tubes are history for audio, but high-power (for us) transmitting tubes are still alive and kicking. When the SS devices are as easy to use *and* and cheap enough to meet our current hollow state device's price point, vacuum tubes will go the way of the dodo. We're progressing rapidly towards that, but it'll be a while, yet. I have spares for all the tubes in any of the gear I have and spares for my amplifier tubes. I figure these will last well beyond my lifetime, and I don't plan on checking out any time soon.

Bottom line: have spares for amps and transmitting tubes in any gear you have. But we all need to accept that our gear won't last forever. Enjoy it while you've got it!

Kim N5OP