Re: [Amps] Stock up on tubes?

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Stock up on tubes?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 23:14:01 +0000

On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 17:27:48 -0500, you wrote:

>This is like swapping engines in a car. It sounds simple but is fraught with
>problems.
>
>1. Input Z of 8877 is different requiring rebuilding of input circuits.
>
>2. Power transformer will not handle increased requirement of more powerful
>tube.
>
>3. Completely new pressurized cooling system needed.
>
>4. Output circuit might not handle increased power.
>
>5. ad infinitum
>
>73, Roger

REPLY:

I'm not suggesting increasing the power output with an 8877
replacement, only that it is a better tube than a single or dual
3-500Z. For example, a pair of 3-500z's will be pushed to their limit
to achieve 1500 watts output, while a single 8877 is not.

Your analogy to replacing a car's motor is quite apt.

As I said, this is not a job for the inexperienced without the help of
an Elmer.

73, Bill W6WRT