Re: [Amps] Alpha 9500 vs. Acom 2000A questions

To: Dick Green <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 9500 vs. Acom 2000A questions
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 22:24:56 +0000

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 15:43:35 -0500, you wrote:

>Strange that the factory recommends keeping autotune off. I've never found
>that to be necessary with the 87A. Once it finds a match, the autotune stops
>hunting. Could be that they're concerned about antennas that are harder to
>match than mine, which are all resonant at the operating frequency. That said,
>I my understanding is that the 9500 autotune is considerably faster than the
>87A, so maybe it's more sensitive to slight impedance variations.
>
>73, Dick WC1M

REPLY:

Here's what the manual says about the matter:

"• We recommend that you use user memories rather than
autotuning for normal operation.
• If you use autotuning for normal operation, hunting behavior
usually indicates instability in the antenna or feed system. Repair
the antenna or feed system so that you can operate from fixed
tuning.
• Autotuning may give slightly different tuning values when the
amplifier is retuned due to the existence of a small tuning dead
zone."

I've never tried leaving autotune on because it didn't seem necessary
but I suppose it could be done.

73, Bill W6WRT