[Amps] Drake L4B to 6 Meters Help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Drake L4B to 6 Meters Help
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 12:00:33 -0800
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 12:32:09 -0600
From: Ed Stallman <ed.n5dg@gmail.com>
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L4B to 6 Meters Help

##   .25 inch OD  tubing has the same aprx circumference as  .375 inch wide
strap.  Strap conducts RF on
BOTH sides.  Tubing only conducts RF on the outside of the tubing.   .5 inch
wide strap =  .318 inch OD tubing.
Again, strap, wound flat, has no stray C between adjacent turns. Easy to wind
flat strap coils vs tubing coils,
+ overall diam is reduced greatly.

Where can one find the .5 inch wide strap =  .318 inch OD ? Maybe McMaster Carr
? I've seen some hammer the 1/4 copper tubing flat but it looked tacky

Ed

###  my local metal shop has  3 ft x 7 ft sheets of cu in thickness from .015
up to .125 thick.   I just get them to shear it for me in 3 ft lengths..in any
width I want.
Typ aprx .029 to .040 thickness works good.  You want it thick enough  to work
with. Too thin and  holes deform... like  shim stock, typ .005  to .010  thick.

##  I also saw rolls of cu strap at local home depot, but that was a while
back.  I think georgia copper also  still sells cu strap.  Its easy to cut with
tin snips, and easy to
punch holes with my roper whitney hand punch.   So if u can get it in say 1
inch wide... easy to cut down the middle to .5 inch wide.

##  I was lucky local shop had sheets of it.  Then I get em to shear it for me
typ in .5 inch....75 inch and 1 inch.   The .75 cut in half becomes .375 inch.

##  I silver plate with the cool-amp  glop  from ore.       I wound the pair of
40m coils in my f12 340N  nema box with  1 inch wide cu strap on a 1.5 inch ID
with aprx
4.5 turns. Then silver plated em. 4 x SPDT  gigavac g2 ceramic vac relays used
to change taps, 2 relays per coil.    Then it ends up with 4 x segments =  flat
swr across the band.
1 inch wide strap =  .637 inch diam tubing.

##  .375 inch wide strap is also easy to cut down to a point at one end... for
insertion into a  small bandswitch, like what I used on my hb  PI tuned inputs.
  Which is just a 4 uh coil,
made from 17 turns of 6 ga solid cu wire on a 1.5 inch ID.   Then tapped for
the various HF bands. Broadcast variable on each side..each with a  6:1
jackson bros  ball drive.
Flat input swr on each band.  Just dial it up by the  numbers.  The ball drives
are calibrated 0-100  across a 180 deg arc..on the skirt.

##  Phone around. Some metal shops carry cu strap, and also rolls and also
sheets.

Jim   VE7RF