Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 21:38:44 +0000
I believe people don't homebrew their radios for the same reason they
don't build their own cars:  While it can be done, and some people do,
it is not cost-effective.

Many decades ago you could homebrew a receiver or transmitter that was
nearly as good and maybe even better than what you could buy. That is
no longer true. The science of electronics has progressed to the point
where the fellow in the basement with a soldering iron is all but
obsolete.

The only real exception to this is homebrewing a high power amplifier.
Even there it is not likely that anyone will homebrew a legal limit
fully autotune amp. Again, it cold be done but is not really
cost-effective. Been there, done that.

Even so, my hat is off to those who homebrew and do a truly
outstanding job. Check out some of the projects in any ARRL Handbook
for some examples, especially in the amplifier section. I hope their
spirit never dies.

73, Bill W6WRT