Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Decline of homebrewing?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 12:34:52 -0800
Without quoting all of this email, I'd like to say that this exchange between Rob and Cathy has been very good. Both of them make excellent points. And from where I sit, there are MANY ham radios.

Ten years ago, I moved from Chicago to Santa Cruz, CA, which is just an hour from Palo Alto, the birthplace of Hewlett Packard and the heart of Silicon Valley. I'm a member of three clubs -- a DX club more or less local to Silicon Valley, a contesting club whose membership is spread over a 175 mile radius, and a club local to Santa Cruz. The membership of each of these clubs ranges from those with little or no technical background to those with very broad technical backgrounds to those with very specialized technical backgrounds. Some are from the RF world, some from computers and programming. There are members with vast experience in advanced telecom, others who have built and maintained VHF/UHF repeater systems both commercially and for hams.

The vast majority are either on Medicare or about to qualify. I could count the under-21 membership of any of these clubs without taking my shoes off, and it's the local club that has the most of those. That local club has, by far, the greatest "shack on the belt" membership, but it also includes a lot of hams with extensive technical backgrounds. NR0V, who developed the Pure Signal algorithm is a member of that club. So is AE6TY, author of the excellent SimSmith freeware Smith chart program. K6XX, one of several engineers employed by Elecraft. WA6NMF, owner of a small company making world class studio microphones. Another of my ham neighbors, W6GJB, is an aeronautical engineer retired from the space program, and holder of a dozen or more patents. He doesn't build gear, but he does build stations.

Another neighbor, KA6SQG, developed and built a very sophisticated multi-site UHF repeater system that is SIMULCAST ! The transmitters are synchronized to the Hz, the receivers are voted to feed the entire system when the PL is 100 Hz, or to feed only one repeater when the local PL for that repeater is transmitted. That system, which he is continuously expanding, is designed for emcomm, with a goal of talkie coverage from north of San Francisco to south of Monterey. That's quite an achievement, given that there are multiple mountain ranges in the way! The link below describes that system in considerable detail. There's also a slide show and a audio/video recording of a talk at Pacificon. Matthew was licensed at age 11; his dad is WB6ECE. A few years ago, his older son, then 10 years old, passed his Tech exam.

http://www.wb6ece.org/technical-info.html

The monthly general membership meetings of that local club are generally pretty boring, but the strongest point of this club is the bi-weekly Saturday morning CAKE sessions (coffee-assisted knowledge exchange). There is sometimes an invited presentation (one of the Elecraft guys did a great one on three ways to do remote ham radio, only one of which was theirs), and every attendee is invited to bring something to talk about. An important part of these sessions is mentoring of new hams.

The contest club and DX club have members who have led and/or participated in DXpeditions to some of the most remote places on the planet. Those are MASSIVE exercises in station-building (and design), logistics, organization, as well as both physical and mental stamina!

I don't build gear, but over the last ten years have built a station beyond my wildest dreams. I've done a lot of research and published it. And I've done a lot of tutorial writing aimed at both new and old hams. Since 2010, I've been a contributor to the ARRL Handbook. Like Rob, and many other members of this list, my hamfest purchases are from the flea market (out here they're called a "swap meet")!

So I say that there are MANY ham radios.

73, Jim K9YC