Re: [Amps] VHF all-mode and DC-to-daylight rigs

To: <amps@contesting.com>, W4TVJoe Subich <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] VHF all-mode and DC-to-daylight rigs
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 20:27:34 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@subich.com> wrote:
> The reason they don't exist is that an all mode VHF/UHF only rig is
> not cost effective.  It costs very little to add HF when the lowest
> frequency is already 50 MHz.

It sounds like two contradictory things are being said (though not by the same
person).
Must "DC to daylight in all modes...sacrifice performance as much as they have
to in order to
meet a pre-determined price limit", or does it "cost very little to add HF"
without impacting
performance?

These can't both be true.  Either you can build a high-quality HF + VHF rig at
the same price/
performance as a VHF-only unit, or you can't.

> As amateur products migrate increasingly to SDR based designs, the economics
> of 50 - 2000 MHz
> products becomes even less attractive compared to a 100 KHz to 2000 MHz
> specification.

Yes, that's the game-changer.  I'm looking forward to getting a wide-band SDR
receiver system
now that it's possible to do that very cheaply.  Being able to watch an entire
band at the same
time on a display will be very powerful.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR