Re: [Amps] VHF all-mode and DC-to-daylight rigs

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] VHF all-mode and DC-to-daylight rigs
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 21:40:34 +0000 (UTC)
That's a great idea, Joe.  I wonder why no manufacturer has done it?

Seems like a pretty straightforward project.  Take an auto-tune amp, put
it in a weatherproof case, run 240V power to the antenna base, and
add some metering circuitry so you can monitor it from the shack.

With a VHF/UHF radio, mount radio with removable head at antenna,
run head cabling back to shack.  You would need to confirm that the
long control cable would not cause problems.  I would look seriously
at buying one of those!  It shouldn't be any more complicated that
a preamp on the mast with relay bypass circuitry.

At the other extreme, I expect that the new 630 and 220 meter bands,
once approved by FCC, will become hotbeds of homebrewing.  These
are bands where "a bunch of parts on a board" is perfectly practical
technique.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR