Re: [Amps] VHF all-mode and DC-to-daylight rigs

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Subject: Re: [Amps] VHF all-mode and DC-to-daylight rigs
From: John Watkins via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 10:02:21 -0600
Interesting topic, maybe a bit off topic, but very informative.  Guess I should
see what I could kludge up in the way of a cross polarized antenna for VHF/UHF
and do some listening.  I would bet that Google would be my friend in searching
for satellites over South Texas.  Hadn't really thought about satellites in
many years.

John WD5ENU

Sent from my iPad

> [...]
> that's not possible in WSJT. It just provides the minimal interchange
> required to have a "legally valid QSO". I'm not trying to fill my
> logbook with thousands of "contacts", nor to fill my walls with dozens
> of (purchased!) awards for having contacted so-and-so many stations from
> these-and-those places. What I'm looking for in ham radio is technically
> interesting things, and real communication. WSJT provides the former,
> but wears off quickly, and it definitely doesn't provide the latter.
>
>> Seems a bit wasteful of time and expense to implement any man made satellite
>> for amateur radio purposes considering the capability
>> already in  place.
>
> It's a totally different thing. The best ham satellites, for me, were the
> store-and-forward pacsats. There was a numerous worldwide community of hams
> posting meaningful messages, stories, photos, software, etc, on those sats.
> The moon definitely doesn't replace that! Nor does HF. And I regret to say,
> but have to, that what does replace it best is the internet, rather than any
> ham-owned, ham-developed or ham-operated system.
>
> And for meaningful DX QSOs, those in which something could be discussed for
> some time, there is still no replacement for Phase 3 VHF/UHF satellites. On
> AO-13 I could talk for an hour or two to someone far away, about interesting
> technical matters, since all people operating on the sats had at least some
> technical knowledge. If I try that nowadays on 20 meters, firstly its hard to
> find any ham interested in a technical conversation, and secondly it doesn't
> take even two minutes before somebody "spots" me on a DX cluster, and the
> next moment there is a pile-up of deaf prefix hunters calling me without even
> hearing me, disrupting my ongoing QSO.
>
> As you can see, I miss the good old times of good old ham sats!
>
>> But where does the notion of no useable satellites come from?
>
> In part it comes from location, and for two reasons: One is that there are no
> high orbit sats now, and that low orbit sats have a coverage circle of about
> 2000km radius at most, and that there are very few sat-equipped ham stations
> within that circle from my location. Instead over North America or Europe
> there are hundreds, if not thousands, of ham sat stations within that circle.
> And transponder/repeater sats are usable only if there is someone to talk to,
> within the coverage! And the other reason is that the owners of several sats,
> starting in the late '90s, have opted for switching the sats on only over
> densely ham-populated areas. Those sats will be on, and transmitting on high
> power, often at a negative power budget (consuming battery charge), over
> North America and Europe, and will be silent, recharging their batteries,
> everywhere else. Some have been programmed to switch on when over the
> northern hemisphere, and off when over the southern. So I never get a chance
 even detect those sats, except when their clocks shift, they come on a bit
early, and I just hear them for a few seconds at the end of a north-going pass!