Re: [Amps] VHF all-mode and DC-to-daylight rigs

To: manfred@ludens.cl, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] VHF all-mode and DC-to-daylight rigs
From: Gerald Williamson via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 10:50:29 -0500
We already have a satellite up and working on 6m, 2m, 135cm, 70cm, 23cm,
13cm, 9cm, 6cm and 3cm with daily activity. Even higher and  lower
frequencies are used on occasion by some stations.

 The satellite is the moon of course. With current and free WSJT  software
there is no need for the gigantic antennas that have been used in the  past.

Seems a bit wasteful of time and expense to implement any man made
satellite for amateur radio purposes considering the capability already in
place.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/6/2017 9:30:54 A.M. Central Standard Time,
manfred@ludens.cl writes:

Cathy,

> For weak-signal usage, you want low noise figure  and high
> sensitivity, but you really don't care about dynamic  range.  You are
> unlikely to have a strong signal next door to  desense your rig.
> There is plenty of bandwidth and few  signals.

The problem is just when you have nearby high power  transmitters, on
frequencies close enough to the ham bands to get through  the front-end
filters. Such as low UHF TV stations, and certain kinds of  radar
stations. Or perhaps a ham neighbor using significant power on the  same
band.

In my case none of that applies, so indeed I don't need  much dynamic range.

> I do hope that with the launch of Phase 4 and  geostationary
> communication on 5/10 GHz, we'll see a new era of ham  satellite
> usage.  I know several local hams who are interested in  building the
> 5/10 GHz ground station.

I would join in too. But  I don't think that Phase 4 sats will be here
very soon. Or at all. They  are complex to build and expensive to launch.
We have ever fewer  technically capable people among us, and most of them
are too engaged in  the dollar hunt to devote lots of time to ham
projects. So there is a  severe shortage of committed, technically
capable hams, to develop and  build advanced satellites. And even when
they build one, rising several  million dollars for a launch of such a
sat isn't easy either!

In  the 1990s I was involved in building what we intended to be the first
Chilean sat, CESAR-1. It would have been a Microsat with 9600 baud GMSK
uplinks on 2m and downlinks on 70cm, and several added features and
experiments. My own hands-on involvement ended when it was financially
impossible to procure some essential test equipment, and I delivered the
transmitters and one receiver without having been fully tested. Several
other volunteers also had such trouble, or simply couldn't devote enough
time to the sat. The project leader, CE2MH, ended up hiring people do to
the remaining work, but those people had neither enough motivation nor
expertise, and failed. The project was delayed ad infinitum, until CE2MH
got ill and finally died, and that was it. Nobody stepped in to take his
place. CESAR-1 will never fly.

And that was just a low orbit  Microsat, largely based on a proven design
by AMSAT-US. We just had to  copy that, and add our own customizations.
It's a far larger task to  develop a new satellite from scratch, and a
Phase 4 sat is enormously more  complex than a low orbit Microsat.

>> Since there are no really  usable sats, there is no demand for
>> VHF/UHF SSB operation
>
> Your club doesn't do weak-signal tropo VHF?  That's too  bad.

No, neither my club, nor anyone within my possible coverage. I'm  not
aware of anyone on South America regularly doing it! Maybe there are
some, but I don't know about them. When I have tried casually listening,
on those days when there are strong meteor showers, I haven't heard
anything.

The closest we come to weak signal work on VHF in this  part of the world
is chasing distant repeaters, when there is some tropo  ducting, mostly
in summer. Oversea propagation between central Chile and  Peru are fairly
common, covering distances of 2500km or so. But that's of  course all
done in  FM.

Manfred