Re: [Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL
From: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 14:00:52 -0600
The PC industry has tons of watercooling stuff for use around electronics, but I haven't found a resource on how much heat the various sized radiators will transfer. As others have pointed out, I'll need to dissipate around 5000 btu/hr. Doing some math, 5000 btu=1,260,000 calories. If I assume a 50 C rise (22C ambient to 75C), then 1,260,000/50=25,200 grams raised by 50C. That is about 888 ounces or 7 gallons of water.

A good 120mm computer fan such as by Noctua, will deliver 59 cfm. Radiators are available that mount 4 of these fans. How do we determine if that will exhaust enough heat?

Another way to do this is using a hydronic kick space heater. A 4"x19" unit with fan is about $180, and will exhaust 3300-10360 btu/hr depending on fan speed. The flow rate is 1-3 gpm. I have a similar unit in my home hydronic heat system, and it has been running during heating season (Nov-Apr) for over 20 years without a problem.

Second question: What size copper cooling block would be needed to remove the heat from 2 BLF188XRs? And how to mill the channels for best heat exchange into the coolant?

John NI0K
Roger (K8RI) <mailto:k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Friday, February 17, 2017 11:53 AM
Water is far easier to clean up, leaves less mess, and is more efficient at heat transfer. The vapor phase cooling used in computer CPU cooling is efficient, but less tolerant of leaks, difficult to charge, and works at lower temps..

Vapor phase water cooling is very efficient (already covered by another poster) for tubes as vaporizing 1 gram (1 cc) of water uses 539 calories (at 100 C - too hot for SS), while heating or cooling water 1 deg C takes 1 calorie. Vapor phase cooling has no moving parts except for a fan(s) at the radiator.

73, Roger (K8RI)

---

Friday, February 17, 2017 9:04 AM
How about instead of "Water" use Mineral or transformer oil?

Less chance of contamination...

Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock