Re: [Amps] Sunset of old technologies

To: <donroden@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sunset of old technologies
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 19:30:06 +0000 (UTC)
Don W4DNR <donroden@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Cathy James N5WVR <catherine.james@att.net> wrote:

>> I lean toward Kenwood, and I'm eager to see some kind of  next-generation
>> TS-2000 /
>> TS-590SG based on the new SDR tech.

> I like my TS-2000 "almost" as much as my Collins S-Line. :-)

Kidding aside, there is very little on the market with all the bands and
features of the TS-2000. Its design is very dated, especially the DSP.  But
every time I see someone ask, "What modern radio should I get that has the same
capabilities as the TS-2000?", the answer usually boils down to "get an
later-model HF radio and a 2-meter FM rig". That's not helpful to the person
who really wants the CW/SSB capability on VHF.

There are some other rigs in that space such as the FT-991A, but very few. It
has gotten harder to get on 2 meter SSB.

I love my TS-590S, and I'll likely keep using it as long as it functions
correctly. Can't wait to see Kenwood's take on a KX3/KX2/IC-7300 equivalent.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR