[Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 10:46:53 -0600
Its been really interesting reading comments on this subject. Up to now, most of the innovation posted on line has been using nonlinear classes like E for homebrew AM transmitters (another topic!) and the hams there have made great strides with kW level designs. But building linear (or Kahn EER/Linc) amplifiers and getting around the laws of physics (very low Z due to low voltages) with the newer devices is the way to look forward. Tubes have always had an edge there, matching a few thousand ohms down to 50 has been done so many decades, well, really a century now. In very high power circuits which I play with at work, my plate impedances are usually 100-300 ohms so its another animal again, pi networks not needed. Transformation is fairly simple with L and C, and of course always has been with cavity circuits...

I read whats here with great interest! Keep it up fellow hams.
73
John
K5PRO