[Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF

To: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 01:44:12 -0600
Hi Cathy,
For particle accelerator RF systems, we require linearity for some systems where the envelope of the RF pulse has ramped voltages. This is needed to capture particles such as ions and protons in a storage ring. Generally speaking for linear accelerators, linearity is required over a limited dynamic range, to adjust the RF voltage within 0.5% or less (and phase must be similarly maintained/locked). This sort of regulation would be over a few dB of dynamic range, but we typically use linear amplifiers to simplify things. Power efficiency is not top of the list of specs.

73
John
K5PRO

Does anyone outside of ham radio care about modulation modes that require
excellent linearity?

73,
Cathy
N5WVR