Re: [Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 01:59:50 -0400
I disagree with the assessment of the drive for low IMD, mainly because it does not identify low transmitter IMD, compared to realistic numbers. There is no excuse for today's commercial rigs producing IMDs worse than the old Collins S-line of -50 db in the 1960s, which I consider realistic. We really need to define the line between good, poor, and what is practical. IMD does need to be lower than most ham rigs built since the introduction of the inexpensive rigs of the late 60s to early 70s (solid state?) and we don't need class A to get there. I see using class A as a crutch, no, more like the walkers you see around the homes and facilities for the physically handicapped! I see today's crowded bands as a reason that low IMD is more necessary keeping in mind that the noise floor on almost any HF band is due to devices outside of the ham bands. We have to start somewhere even if it's one station at a time.

There is no legit reason for reducing the crud generation below the band noise floor in a quiet location and with all the crud generating appliances that floor is going to continue creeping up, possibly at an accelerated rate. "I think" that it's quite likely that manufacturers find it's more economical to deal with interference on an individual basis. After all, we are such a small segment they big companies would likely find it cheaper to sell many thousands of cheap devices, like wall warts and PWM even if they had to pay every licensed ham many thousands of dollars.

The general public...Or maybe I should say, most people, including many engineers have no grasp of how things work outside of their nitch. Now days even the percentage of hams that have little, if any understanding of STEM subjects is getting quite small. STEM? How often do they maladjust / set up, their rigs from the get-go? Seems they can't be bothered following the manufacturer's set up instructions for the audio chain consisting of mike gain, ALC, and compression. Many engineers I worked with in the past had very little mechanical aptitude. There were EEs that understood electronics (in their field) but no practical knowledge on how to actually apply that to the real world outside of their normal work. I've mentioned before about their inability to grasp how to use four individual lines to control more that 4 valves even though those four lines were BCD. It took less than $20 and less than a hour to build a decoder plus optoisolators that would control 10 valves.

Sure, we can get there (relatively good reduction in IMD) with predistortion. It will even clean up the signal (a bit) from a mediocre rig, but many rigs produced over the last 4 or even 5 decades are beyond the capability of even dynamic predistortion. With predistortion an amplifier can actually put out a cleaner signal than the driving rig. Sadly, those poor rigs will be trashing the bands for many decades to come. I've seen a number of complaints on top end rigs with tremendous dynamic range and steep filter skirts. The complaints blame their megabuck receiver for hearing stations, 5 or 10 KHz up or down from a station 20 KHz wide. They not only blame their rig, they could not understand the explanations given to them by quite a few posters

One of the biggest problems is the new rigs that give the user access to too many parameters, allowing them to trash an otherwise good signal. In those cases improved IMD, or any other refinement except a power failure will fail to improve the signals from those stations. With self driving cars, maybe we need self configuring rigs with the only control being an on/off switch!

 73, Roger (K8RI)