Re: [Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV MOSFETs for RF
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 16:17:26 +0000
Jim,

##  The 100w  K3  driver section is junk, both the driver and the
main 100 watt pa need a serious  re-design.

What exactly would you improve in that design?

I just had a look at those schematics. The driver section looks pretty OK to me, while the 100W amp suffers from a typical design flaw that also affects most other 100W radios from the last 20 years or so. But it's really not easy to avoid that flaw!

I would be interested in seeing your suggestions for improvement, to see whether or not they agree with my own.

Calling that design "junk" seems a bit over the top. It's no worse than many others. In fact better than some...

Can you point me to some 100W broadband amplifier stage that you would consider good? And some 10W driver that you would endorse, and why it's better than the Elecraft "junk"?

Manfred