Re: [Amps] SWR and amplifiers

To: amps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amps] SWR and amplifiers
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 19:00:42 +0000
Jim,

##  The tube cant  source anything.  It can only sink current.

That's right, of course, as long as you think in the conventional current sense. People who think in the true electron motion sense will certainly claim that a tube can _only_ source, and never sink, current!

But let's leave that issue aside.

The tube only sinking current doesn't really impact any of the things I explained in my post. But indeed when thinking about the inner working of amplifiers we do need to consider that tubes and transistors only ever conduct current in one way, and that this has a lot of consequences. The tube or transistor by itself isn't an AC signal source. Even when combined with a feed choke, and DC blocking capacitor, the combination has become an AC source but typically not a sinewave source (except in class A). Only when combined with a resonant circuit of sufficiently high Q, or when two devices are combined in push-pull in class AB or B and with the porper use of a good coupling device between them, do we get a sine wave source.

But in practical amplifiers some such combination of components is always used, and as a result we do have at least the equivalent of a real signal source connected to an impedance matching circuit. And as long as low-loss components are used, the only component that can exhibit significant resistance, and thus can dissipate significant power, is the tube or transistor.

For those reasons it is valid to analize the possibility of absorption of RF energy entering via the output port, and being dissipated by the active device, in the way I did. Although it's correct that the detailed happenings inside the circuit are more complex than "impedance matching circuit connected to active device acting as resistor", and that a tube only ever sinks (conventional) current.

Manfred