Re: [Amps] Amplifier for 630 meter band

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplifier for 630 meter band
From: David G4FTC <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 16:27:00 +0000
Hi All,

I see quite a few members of this group asking about exciters, amps, antennas
etc, so here goes:-

I'm active on 630m, usually WSPR but also JT9 and FT8. I had been active on
136khz and I am basically using the same set up with a few mods for the 630m
band.  Virtually everthing was built from my junk box.

Exciter -  FT1000MP MK V Field transmitting on 10MHz with TX power as minium.
Receiving directly on 630m.

Transverter - output of the FT1000MP feeds an attenuator to further drop the
power to a suitable level (<1mW) to feed into a Mini-Circuits SBL-1 DBM. Local
oscillator is a cheap packaged 10MHz TCXO available from most component houses
(seehttp://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/crystal-oscillators/1442367/ but with through
hole pins as opposed to surface mount) Two further stages using push-pull
Mosfets get the power up to about 4 watts. The transverter is linear .

Amplifier - A full bridge Mosfet amplifer running in Class D using 4 IRFP640
devices with a HT of 225V. The output of the transverter feeds a transformer
wound on a small ferrite toroid core having 4 winding each feeding on of the
Mosfet gates.  The amplifier output is a large EPCOS ferrite toroid (
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ferrite-rings/2120718/ ) with the output winding
tapped for different power levels. The amp will produce well over 1kW and
barely gets warm and is quite happy at my normal power level of 300watts
running WSPR with its 2 minute transmit cycle.   The amp includes clamp diodes
etc as a form of protection.

Low Pass Filter -  a nine element LPF to remove the rubbish from the class D
amp!

Antenna - Top loaded vertical - vertical section approx 7 metres with a further
15 metres horizontal wire for top loading but the top loading section is
doubled back on itself to fit in a suburban garden. The antenna is tuned with
bottom loaded coil approx 300 mm diameter with variometer (homebrewed) for
tuning. Radial system buried in lawn.

Does it work? - I'm running the system now - go to
http://wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map select MF and a Time Period of, say, 12
hours and see who I received and who received me! You'll find me to the west of
London near G4CAO. One of the problems with 630m is that there are many people
listening but not many transmitting so please get the soldering iron out and
start building!

David G4FTC