Re: [Amps] Flex Power Genius XL 2KW amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Flex Power Genius XL 2KW amplifier
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 13:22:10 -0400
W8ZR: >"With respect to the Flex Power Genius XL, it's not clear that the
T/R relays are sequenced properly for CW operation. The company hasn't
published any circuit diagram of the amplifier yet..."

Unfortunately, Flex won't release their schematic diagrams to the public.
I've tried on several occasions.  Their code and hardware integration is a
closely-held secret.  They have provided some block diagrams in the past,
but not schematics.  I suppose it's understandable given the
commercialization of their PowerSDR software (predecessor of SmartSDR).

When Flex open-sourced the PowerSDR code, it meant that companies like
Apache/ANAN could quickly tweak the software for use with their own hardware
like the ANAN 100 and later ANAN models.  Apache is quick to point out that
it sells only hardware, and does not sell nor license operating software.

In essence, Flex handed over the keys to a very valuable product that helped
launch Apache Labs.  My understanding is that members of the HPSDR software
design group have so deconstructed -- and reconstructed PowerSDR that apart
from the visual GUI, little of Flex's PowerSDR remains today.  This is
especially true of HPSDR's Thetis software that runs at gigabit network
speed.  I'm currently running an ANAN 7000DLE with Thetis and performance
has bn excellent with no bad behaviors.

To the best of my knowledge, Flex is the only major transceiver manufacturer
that won't release its schematics.  Fine, that's their prerogative.
However, schematics have come with every JA transceiver I've purchased in
the last 40 years.  Elecraft has published most of their schematics.  So
far, they have not posted diagrams for the KPA1500 amplifier but I'm hopeful
they will at some point in the near future.

Unless and until Flex releases schematics, I likely will not consider them
for future purchases.  We can argue all day long whether or not SDR hardware
complexity has reached a point of "no user serviceable parts."  I still want
to understand what's going on inside and I'll assume the risk if I
permanently cause damage during a repair or modification.

Paul, W9AC