Re: [Amps] Be advised: K3 TX DLY differs from documentation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Be advised: K3 TX DLY differs from documentation
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:27:10 -0700
On 10/20/2018 11:47 AM, Jim Garland wrote:
A well-designed amplifier QSK circuit should never allow hot-switching of the amplifier's T/R relays under any circumstances. There are several ways to accomplish this goal, none of them expensive or complicated.

Yes. Ten Tec implemented this quite effectively in their Titan 425 using discrete semiconductors in a late '70s design. Their design positively prevents hot switching -- I know that from experience. Their rigs didn't include keyers, and TX delay from the rig was implemented by keying the amp and having the amp key the rig. HOWEVER -- I have successfully had my rig PTT key the SSB PTT line with no issues for both full QSK and semi-QSK. I used those amps for more than ten years, and with TS850s, Omni V, FT1000MPs, K2s, and K3s.

I first ran full QSK, but as a contester, found myself needing to replace vacuum relays at the most inopportune times. And, as I worked at higher speeds (30 WPM or so), got reports that dits were getting shortened. For both reasons, I went to semi-QSK. And eventually replaced those amps with 87As.

73, Jim K9YC