Re: [Amps] Flex Power Genius XL 2KW amplifier

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Flex Power Genius XL 2KW amplifier
From: Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 15:49:32 +0300
I don't use full QSK for ragchewing or running stations, in which case I use semi-QSK with a short delay adjusted to allow the relays to open between words. I do use it when I am trying to work a DX station through a pileup, and I want to be sure I catch him if he comes back to someone (hopefully me).

However, a clunky open-frame relay like the one that came in my TL922 would drive me nuts even with semi-QSK. I always have used vacuum relays in my HB amps and installed them in commercial ones that came with slow relays.

I am also convinced that many TL922s were damaged by hot-switching as a
result of that slow relay.

One of the best commercial amps I ever had was an Alpha 86 with PIN diodes. I know that some people had trouble with them, but mine worked perfectly for the several years I had the amp.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO